Saturday, January 29, 2005

My so-called social life

It's funny how weekends are a reminder of how social you are. Even having the option of doing something is an indicator.

Last nite went out for dinner with Herb & Mari at Dan Ryans. haha remembering the good old days in that place. Found out that there are a couple more people in town. So after dinner headed to Bahamas, yep that place is still there, and still looks the same (it's a bar everyone used to go to). It was crazy cuz Haresh, Aaron, Aj & Neej were there! People I haven't seen in ages... so it was good catching up. Everyone is pretty much the same, maybe a few extra pounds here and there hehe. They find my accent slightly amusing and it seems like I've picked up the southern R! I said burrgerr. I wasn't drinking, and being around people who were slightly drunk or wasted, smoking away was an environment I'm not unfamiliar with, yet have been quite removed from in the pass few years. The only thing I can't stand is coming home smelling like an ashtray!! Gross...

Tonite was another story. Went along to one_eighty, the 18-30s group at the church I went to last week. I was late and I partly blame Phil for that since he called. But I really should've known with the traffic on a sat nite, it would take me over an hour by bus! The guy that heads it up, Derek is a really good guy. He spoke about Jesus meeting the Samaritan woman and picked out 6 points... let's see if I can remember them (slightly paraphased)

1. Jesus cared for the uncared (samaritans = social outcasts)
2. There was no crowd/audience
3. Jesus was equal with her or placed himself lower
4. No miracles were performed
5. Wasn't ashamed of the truth
6. Took hold of the opportunity

And basically asked the question on what we were doing with our salvation. When was the last time you personally led someone to Christ? not just bringing them to church or to a christian group/meeting, but one-on-one, talking about the truth and inviting them to a life that God has for them. wooahhh... I don't think I could even say. It was challenging, definately worth thinking about and bringing before God!

(This morning I read this - "Your very lives are a letter that anyone can read by just looking at you. Christ himself wrote it - not with ink, but with God's living spirit; not chiseled into stone, but carved into human lives and we publish it" 2 cor 3:2-3 Msg. oh so true)

After some worship, there was food! Obviously, no church meeting is without something yummy to eat. They have the kewlest cafe as well! I really should have worn a sign saying my name, where I was from, what I was doing, what I studied and what sort of job I was looking for, cuz I had to repeat that several times! But it's all good, met lots of people. It's funny being in these shoes, cuz for so long I've been on the other side, talking to new people, not being the new person! And HK being HK, the small, connected place that it is - I met people who were in my school, had sisters in my year, knew people I played hockey with, and this guy asked if I was from Kent, in England! He managed to pick up my english accent, so it's still lurking around somewhere! that makes me happy. Funny thing is that he studied in Cambridge and Earl is there. So I asked him if he knew him and he actually did!! How crazy is that?!

The kewlest thing was when Derek asked how I was doing, ie. with the stress of being back in HK and finding a job and all that sort of stuff. He genuinally asked. He said that people in the church would pray with/for me, but there was no pressure to commit to this church, but they would love to be there to help out and maybe have some contacts. Nearly made me cry! mehhh... God's so good to bring people around me.

So the weekend so far has been a reminder of how God cares for me through his church and that while we're in the world, we are to care for others. And tomorrow I have a blind "date"... ok I use that term very loosely, but still I'm having coffee (at Starbucks) with a friend of a friend. hmm what should I wear?!?! haha should be interesting

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com