Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The folks and the good old days

The highlight of today (one of the many), was having coffee with my dad. I haven't spent much time with him over the years, since being in Dunedin, and previously our relationship was mainly to do with school, results and money. So it was nice just hanging out with him. It's been good as I've "grown up" or shall I say maturing, our relationship has changed along with that. We are able to talk more about life, dreams, the things we value and so on. I've enjoyed that. One really good memory is of a night, a few years ago, when I was back in HK for Christmas. My dad and I were in the lounge singing old songs on the guitar. Everyone else was asleep, and we were in the dark with only christmas lights on. We were being really silly, laughing and singing. It always makes me smile.

It's funny thinking of parents as people. People who have friends, a childhood, their own parents and siblings, who went to school and experienced growing up - living a life from what we know. I really would like to know them in that way; the way other people see them. Also how they grew up and the influence of their histories and experiences in different cultures/environments on who they are now. Just thinking of my grandparents who were in the wars and experienced hardships we never could even think of is amazing. Do we really know what it's like to be hungry, to be running for our lives, to lack even the basic necessities of life like water and shelter? The things we take for granted. Personally it's been a struggle dealing with feelings of frustration and impatience because of my ignorance. God, help me to understand and see you people through your eyes. To love them for who they are and not through my own selfish perspective.

The other highlight was watching Oceans 12 at the Embassy (love those bathrooms) with a bunch of people (Sam, Becs, Maria, Jared, Matt&Lou, Lawrence, Sunshine, Reuben, Jackie, Amanda and Will). Would probably pick up a lot more the next time I see it. Nevertheless an enjoyable night.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com